I got a letter yesterday from a Christian media ministry, and it contained some interesting stats on the growth of technology, especially as relates to the Internet. At least I found them interesting enough to share here:
- Ten years ago, 45 million people were using the Internet
- Today, over 1 billion people use the Internet
- Last year, household adoption of high speed, broadband Internet connection exceeded the 50% mark, spawning a new era of on-demand video communication
- Eight months ago, the video iPod didn’t exist
- Today, millions of full-length TV shows and movies are being downloaded to computers, and synced to the iPods for "time-shifted" viewing on the go
Can you believe everything that has happened so fast?
A report revealed that 30% of people on-line are searching for Religious or Spiritual information. That’s a lot of seekers. Research also shows a significant consumer preference of video over text. (Not good news to writers, but that’s another topic.)
Now imagine a place on the Internet where bestselling authors and trusted biblically based experts on Gospel and Spiritual Truths, Sexual Intimacy, Parenting, Finances, etc., are available with short video answers to life’s biggest questions, instantly accessible by computer, video enabled cellular phones and iPods.
It’s coming, folks. And when I learn the link has been announced, I’ll include it here.
Speaking of short video answers, have you watched any of the NOOMA videos from Rob Bell and produced by Zondervan. I was given video #1, RAIN, last fall and finally got around to watching it a couple of weeks ago. Powerful lesson taught in about 11 minutes. And wouldn’t you know? I watched it the very day I needed to hear what Rob Bell had to say.
If you are part of a small group, I highly recommend these videos. They could kick off some terrific discussions.