I was very remiss in not sharing with my blog readers about The Complete Jane Austen showing this winter and spring on Masterpiece Theater, The Classic Schedule, on PBS.
These are the BBC versions of Jane Austen’s novels. Some I’ve seen by renting via Netflix. One, I own (Price & Prejudice starring Colin Firth). I own many other Jane Austen films as well. They are:
- Persuasion (also from BBC but it isn’t the same as the one shown on Masterpiece Theater this week) starring Amanda Root as Anne Elliott
- Mansfield Park starring Frances O’Conner as Fanny Price
- Pride & Prejudice starring Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennett
- Emma starring Gwyneth Paltrow as Emma Woodhouse
- Sense & Sensibility starring Emma Thompson as Elinor Dashwood
Last night was Persuasion starring Sally Hawkins as Anne Elliott. Delightful. Not sure why the BBC made two versions of this novel, but I believe I liked the actors in this Masterpiece Theater version a little better.
In some markets, there will be a repeat showing of Persuasion this week, so check your local listings and catch it if you can. It isn’t showing again in the Boise market, so I’m thankful I had my DVR set to record. I’ll be recording and saving them all for as long as I have room on my DVR.
There is a bonus for those watching the Masterpiece Classics. In addition to the Complete Jane Austen — Persuasion; Northanger Abbey; Mansfield Park; Miss Austen Regrets; Pride & Prejudice; Emma; and Sense & Sensibility from now through April 6 — we can look forward to A Room with a View and My Boy Jack in April and to Cranford (starring the incomparable Judi Dench) for three weeks in May.
Now this is great television!