Since 2005, I have made it a practice to ask God to give me a word for the year. I don’t want to just choose a word myself. I want it to be something God wants me to know and study and contemplate and understand. And He has been faithful to do just that.
My word for 2017: PONDER
The verse: Luke 2:29, “But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart.” (NASB95)
I expect that I shall be pondering many things in my heart throughout 2017, and I pray that I will treasure all that God has for me.
And for the record, here is the full list of the words God and I have walked through over the past twelve years:
- 2005: Endurance (2 Corinthians 4:8-9)
- 2006: Victory (1 John 5:4)
- 2007: Peace & Simplicity (Phil 4:7)
- 2008: Intimacy & Devotion (Intimacy with God & Devotion in Prayer – Titus 2:12))
- 2009: Press in/Press on (Press into Jesus; press on in faith – Luke 5:1)
- 2010: Come Away (Mark 6:31a, Streams in the Desert, Dec. 24th entry)
- 2011: Rejoice Always (1st Thessalonians 5:16)
- 2012: Fear Not (2 Tim 1:7, NLT)
- 2013: Quenched (John 4:13-14)
- 2014: Manifest (Matt 6:10, Voice Bible translation)
- 2015: Persistent Prayer (Streams in the Desert, Dec. 16th entry, Eph 6:18)
- 2016: Depth and Breadth (NASB)/Deep and Wide (NIV), Eph 3:17-19
Happy New Year, friends. May God’s written word dwell in your heart richly throughout 2017.